Thursday, January 14, 2010

Makar Sankranti (Harvest Festival)

I remember this day for just one thing, chivda and curd with jaggery. That is what people have for breakfast in Bihar on this day. I never liked the combination to even try it when I used to live in the state but did develop a taste for it in my own time.
I was in Delhi and had this Bengali roommate who one day insisted that I have the very thing for breakfast, with one little difference, instead of jaggery she put juicy ripe mangoes with the curd and the chivda...... to my own disbelief I LOVED IT! This girl really got me to develop a taste for it with all kinds of sweets as well, be it the famous "sandesh" or the humble "peda"
When I was carrying my first baby I had a huge craving for the same thing and would have it first thing every morning till he actually arrived. I preferred having it with mangoes so my husband had a tough time looking for ripe mangoes even when the season for them had long gone. My baby only arrived in September and till that time I somehow managed a ripe mango if not every day then every week for sure.

1 comment:

  1. Mangoes during September...hmmm...I remember those days!

    ReplyDelete